Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tempting


Traveling always poses dilemmas and challenges, and traveling and being healthy are hard to do if you easily succumb to temptation. Take, for example, the bakery display case at the Starbucks located in the lobby of our hotel: cranberry scones, coffee cakes, muffins. Or the pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (my favorite candy ever) that was delivered to my room last night. Or the Chick-Fil-A sandwiches and fries in the food court that's only seconds away.

My strategy for eating out when away from home is to make as many healthy choices as possible while occasionally treating myself.  Also, I try to incorporate more walking into my day.

I got my Starbucks fix this morning before the meetings started. I succumbed the urge to order a scone and latte knowing that it wouldn't fill me up, and instead purchased a bowl of oatmeal (which I ate with a little brown sugar and dried fruit) and a medium passion tea. After the first meeting of the day, I snacked on a banana just so I wouldn't be famished by lunch.

Once again at lunch, Chick-Fil-A called my name, and I was really craving a sandwich and fries. I can't remember the last time I ate a chicken sandwich, so I compromised and ordered the sandwich, but with a fruit cup instead of fries.

The trade show also had its fair share of goodies. Among the bounty I brought back to the room were pens, chip clips, a lint roller, mouse pads, a koozie, and candy! After returning to the hotel room I snacked on some almonds, walnuts, and an orange that my roommate brought from home, and also a small pack of Nerds.

Tonight should be fun since we're heading over to watch the Atlanta Thrashers play the Buffalo Sabres. I haven't been to a hockey game in years and I'm so excited! We're going to walk to the game, which is nearly a mile away, so that will count for some exercise. Tomorrow I'll have to head to the gym for a morning workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment