Saturday, January 2, 2010

Let's Get Started

It's a new year, time for new goals and new challenges. I've never been good at keeping resolutions, so this year I'm setting a new goal for myself: run at least 3 miles without stopping. My other motive is to lose at least 10 pounds (I'll determine the exact number when I hop on the scale tomorrow).

And so, sporting my new, expensive, state-of-the-art Asics running shoes, today I took the first step towards running a 5k, I completed my first training session from the Couch to 5K program : warm up for 5 minutes, then alternate one minute of running with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes. I also added in another 15 minutes of walking. I didn't have any problems getting through the workout, but I did take it pretty easy, keeping the running segments to 4.5 miles per hour. I followed that up with some yoga poses that will help ease my tight angles and hips.

To help get the extra weight off, I'm cleaning up my eating habits. This morning I had a bowl of bran flakes with soy milk and a banana. Lunch was a salad with feta cheese, olives, and balsamic vinegar dressing, a piece of bread with strawberry preserves, and a cup of lentils. I snacked on an orange, some craisins, and some cereal. Dinner was three-bean chili with cornbread. For dessert (it is the weekend after all) was a fudge sundae from McDonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment