Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who would have thought....

Today I have spent several hours watching the Olympics coverage (I'm watching the pairs figure skating right now). Which leads me to a question, "Who decided it would be fun to wear spandex, a thin plastic helmet, get on a sled, lie flat on your back, and speed 80+ miles per hour down a steep icy hill with hair pin turns and call it a sport?" I guess someone did, but I can't imagine the amount of courage (or insane-ness) that drives these athletes to compete in the luge or mogul skiing or snowboarding. On the other hand, the skating events (especially the speed skating) are so beautiful to watch since the athletes are so graceful and their movements so smooth. As someone who considers herself a huge klutz, this degree of athleticism is spectacular.

So, watching all these world-class athletes should motivate me to work on my own fitness level, but today that simply wasn't the case. I didn't get to bed until 11:30 last night (I started watching the women's mogul skiing event), I woke up at 7:30 a.m. and took Kobe on his usual walk. From that point on, I was very lazy. Sure, I managed a load of laundry and cooked lunch and dinner for myself, but mostly my rear end has been planted on the couch.

After our walk, I had two scrambled eggs and a slice of toast for breakfast. I was out of bananas (oh, the horror), so I made my weekly trip to the grocery store, and then stopped by Starbucks for a medium, decaf, skim, hazelnut misto. The aroma of the drink filled my entire car, and it was a great treat to have mid-morning with a banana.

Since the coffee filled me up, I didn't eat lunch until 1 p.m. I'm still trying to use up the food in my pantry, so today I pulled out a package of couscous.



I had bought a couple of zucchini at the store, so I sauteed one of those with an onion...


 ...and then added about 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce.


 Then, I mixed the couscous and sauce together and topped it with some grated parmesan cheese. Yummy!



I also had an orange after lunch.

This afternoon I snacked on some dill pickle cashews (I saw these at Target on Thursday and had to try them). They weren't bad, but didn't have the dill flavor I was expecting.



My valentine's day dinner was a grilled chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries and a pickle. I also had a big spinach salad before the main meal.

Dessert ended up being the usual orange with some 85% cacao dark chocolate with some tea and honey.

Tomorrow it's back to the old grind again. My plans are to walk Kobe in the morning and do a long stretching session, and then run after work.

I'm going to watch the Olympics until about 9 p.m., and then I'm heading to bed to read a new book, The Outlander.

No comments:

Post a Comment