Monday, January 3, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It’s a new year so it’s time for some new goals. Yes, goals. Not resolutions. Why? I don’t keep New Year resolutions. But, that doesn’t mean a new year can’t be a time for new goals. Actually, according to dictionary.com, there’s a big difference between goals and resolutions.


But before I get to that, let’s talk about this totally cool photo of me driving two Belgian Draft horses. I got to drive them (and just not hold the reins... although the driving took place in a wide open field under close supervision from Mr. Courtney. I did ride horses for years when I was a kid, but I haven't really been around them since graduating from high school.) Anyways, Will and I got to go on a sleigh ride before Christmas at Four Green Fields Farm in Rodney, Mich. The farm offers sleigh rides and wagon rides for private parties and on the weekends (plus a corn maze and pumpkin patch in the warmer months). Visit the website for more information!


Okay, and back to the difference between a resolution and goal.

Goal: “The result or achievement toward which effort is directed.”

Resolution: “The act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.”


For me, picking a resolution is something that is very rigid, such as, “I will exercise Monday-Saturday for 45 minutes a day.” This would never work for me, because I’m an all or nothing type person. The first time I skipped a workout in the middle of the week (let’s say Wednesday), I’ve broken my resolution. And for me, a broken resolution means falling off the exercise bandwagon. For me, it’s all or nothing.

On the other hand, a goal like, “I will workout most days of the week,” gives me some flexibility so skip a workout hear and there, and pick out the workout I want to do regardless of how long it is. in this case, "most" is subjective.

So here are my goals for the new year:

Start logging my workouts again. I did this religiously a couple of years ago and it felt good to look back at what workouts I had accomplished each week. I am also much more inclined to do strength training and stretching three times each week when I write my workouts down.

Get two posts up on this blog each week.

Blog at least once a week at Goode Taste.

All of these goals are very doable for me-- no reason why I can’t write a few more blog posts and write down my workouts.

I’ll leave you with a photo of the winter scene outside our house.


Workout Log (January 1-3)
January 1- Rest (I stayed up to welcome in the New Year and had a few too many beverages)
January 2-Michelle Dozois' Ultimate Workout (Cardio), 10 Minute Solution: Quick Tummy Toners Crunchless Abs
January 3-Kickstart Your Metabolism

No comments:

Post a Comment